Bringing flavor to healthy foods

Food and drinks

Bringing flavor to healthy foods


Brown rice and spicy red lentils at Fit Kitchen, Muthangari Drive during the interview on September 7, 2022. PHOTO | DIANA NGILA | NMG

A few years ago, eating healthy in restaurants was not easy. Few restaurants catered to diners looking for gluten-free, meatless, and low-fat options. And at home, most Kenyans have had to opt for limited food options, mostly boiled and tasteless.

Linda Jabesh is one of the food entrepreneurs looking to feed health-conscious people by adding flavor and creativity to their meals.

“I like to eat out, but in 2016 it was hard to find anywhere that had delicious but healthy food other than my mom’s kitchen. Most of the time, healthy eating equals boring food that is only boiled without salt or flavor.

“So that’s where our dream was born, to provide a place for people who want to eat out and nourish their bodies with healthy, nutritious food,” says Ms Jabesh, who started small in her mother’s kitchen preparing spinach chips and protein muffins. six years ago.

“When I was doing my masters and pursuing entrepreneurship, I vowed to make healthy food delicious. Everyone loves to eat good, tasty food,” she says.

At the Fit Kitchen on Muthangari Drive in Nairobi, the menu includes brown rice, lentil curry with grilled vegetables and crispy arrowroot served with a black bean burger. These foods are healthy and traditional but cooked with more flavor.

burger

A falafel burger with cubed arrowroot from the Fit Kitchen meal prep menu at the establishment along Muthangari Drive during the September 7, 2022 interview. PHOTO | DIANA NGILA | NMG

Fit Kitchen is a restaurant and meal preparation service company.

Arrowroots, for example, are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. These foods, she says, are suitable for people following a gluten-free lifestyle for weight loss or due to an intolerance. In addition to providing a space for diners to enjoy meals, she also prepares meal prep menus for customers.

Chicken fajita salad is one of the dishes on the prep menu. They also have date and almond energy balls, snicker bars made with chickpeas and dark chocolate, and peanut butter cups made with dark chocolate.

The concept of meal prep is similar to what athletes, fitness enthusiasts, families and kids use to stick to their healthy meals and not get into a downward spiral of eating out and adding unnecessary calories.

Fitness enthusiasts have realized that only 20% of weight loss is linked to weightlifting and aerobics. The other 80% of a person’s journey to a fit body depends on nutrition.

Preparing and planning meals to make sure you eat the right amount of calories has gone from a trend to a way of life.

“Healthy eating and dieting is no longer a trend, but rather a way of life. More and more people around the world are self-aware and take care of themselves. If you look at the number of young people exercising, it’s high,” says Ms. Jabesh of the Fit Kitchen, beautifully designed with hints of African prints.

salad

A chicken salad with honey mustard dressing from the Fit Kitchen menu at the establishment along Muthangari Drive during the interview on September 7, 2022. PHOTO | DIANA NGILA | NMG

“When you eat healthy and the food doesn’t taste good, you tend to go back to lavish, fatty meals,” she adds.

My favorite dish was brown rice and lentil curry with grilled vegetables. There was an extra serving of carrots, but quinoa would work too.

They also have sweet potato fries and mashed sweet potatoes cooked with different herbs and spices.

“What we do is we turn normal boring healthy food into something that looks very appealing to the eye but still very delicious,” she says.

[email protected]

Comments are closed.