Calgary Council Sean Chu apologized to alleged sexual assault victim, tried to meet again, lawsuit says

Despite claims to the contrary, the Council. Sean Chu met the teenager he is accused of sexually assaulting several times before the incident and called his alleged victim to apologize in the days that followed, according to a 1999 lawsuit.

The lawsuit was filed by the teenager and names Chu and then police chief Christine Silverberg as defendants. The action was ultimately dismissed against Silverberg.

Chu was found in default, not having filed a defense, court documents show that the claim was never rejected in favor of Chu.

So far, details of the alleged sexual assault have come from Law Enforcement Review Board (LERB) decisions and transcripts. For the first time, the statement filed with the Court of Queen’s Bench offers the story of the alleged victim.

CBC News identifies him as HH in order to protect his identity.

On October 18, Chu was re-elected Ward 4 councilor by a margin of 100 votes. He owns in the face of more and more calls he has since resigned CBC News revealed the story on October 15 that when he was a 34-year-old police officer in 1997, he had sexual contact with a minor.

Chu called to apologize, asked to see her again, said the trial

HH and Chu met at least four times in person and once on the phone before meeting her at a Husky House restaurant and then bringing her to his home, according to the lawsuit.

Chu has repeatedly said that he does not “remember” any previous meeting with HH prior to the incident of August 12, 1997.

After eating together at Husky House, Chu said he would ride HH home on his police motorbike, but instead, the claim alleges that he “lured” her to his home, saying he was going. recover his sick dog.

Once inside, the lawsuit claims, Chu violently sexually assaulted HH and drew his Calgary Police Department handgun “to overcome his resistance.” Afterwards, he drove her home.

In a previous statement, Chu said “unequivocally… that there was no gun involved. He also says he passed a polygraph question on this specific issue.

“In the days that followed, while on duty, Agent Chu left messages on his phone to apologize and ask to see her again,” read the court document. “She didn’t answer any of the calls.”

According to a transcript of part of Chu’s disciplinary hearing, he claimed that the meeting at his home involved “consensual sexual foreplay.”

The transcript reveals that the presiding officer at the time disbelieved the complainant’s testimony, concluding that HH was “inconsistent” in her testimony and had difficulty remembering “relevant details”.

HH reported the incident to police, but no criminal charges were laid. Eventually, an investigation under the Police Act was opened.

Chu, who was a CPS officer from 1992 to 2013, was ultimately convicted of improper conduct in 2003 and received a five-year reprimand that went into his case.

Details clash with events Chu described in October

The details of the statement conflict with what Chu described last October in preparation for the Calgary municipal election.

Chu said the two first met while he and his partner were on duty touring the Kings Head Pub, not Husky House, and that he couldn’t tell the girl was minor because they were in an institution where people are supposed to be 18 years of age or older.

A statement provided to CBC News a few weeks ago claimed that Chu “honestly has no recollection” of a previous meeting with HH.

However, the lawsuit alleges that Chu and HH met on several occasions, first in the spring of 1994 or 1995 when he questioned her about a complaint that she had committed an assault.

They met in the HH neighborhood a couple of times after that while Chu was on duty and had small conversations, according to the court document. He goes on to say that in December 1996 the two spoke on the phone when it was CPS time again and Chu complained that he had not received a Christmas card from HH. She then handed him a card at work.

The document indicates that on August 9, 1997, they met outside a pub while he was on duty, exchanged pager numbers and agreed to meet for coffee. They met two days later at the Husky House.

None of the claims in the trial have been tested in court. and only a statement of defense from then police chief Christine Silverberg was in the court file.

Silverberg said in his defense statement that if an assault did occur, it occurred “outside the reach and control” of the police chief.

The then chief also argued that HH’s complaint had been properly investigated under the Police Act.

Comments are closed.