Take a look at Yojimbo, Fairfax’s bustling new Japanese destination
The new occupant of Fairfax Yojimbo is ready to take the next step. Starting September 7, the Japanese restaurant at the former Golden State space will open for indoor dining on site. A far cry from the building’s old gastropub look (which lasted for a good 12 years), the new Yojimbo offers a clean, light wood and brick aesthetic with two long bar-height ramps running the length of the dining room.
To accompany the official opening – the restaurant offers a limited take-out service from a window so far – chefs Keisuke Akabori (Spago) and Chris Ono (Eleven Madison Park, Providence) are expanding Yojimbo’s menu to include a full line of Japanese bowls (think teriyaki chicken, braised beef, etc.) as well as kaisen boxes, wings, salads, and more. Hours of operation 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Tuesday to Saturday.
In other news:
- The Los Angeles Times has details on Silver Lake’s new This’s Gastronomia, the small, mostly take-out business on Sunset across from the old Tintorera. The small Italian boutique run by chef Francesco Lucatorto (Angelini Osteria, Otium) and his partner Francesca Pistorio offers dishes based on grandmother’s recipes from all over Italy.
- Ludo Lefebvre is almost ready to open his next restaurant – in Denver, Colorado. The coming soon Chez Maggy is located at the Thompson Hotel and will feature a mix of French brasserie staples and Denver-centric options (like the city’s namesake omelet). It’s the first out-of-town project for Ludo, and it’s named after his wife Krissy’s stepmother, who was killed in an incident of impaired driving few years ago.
- Imari opens today in the West LA / Brentwood area. The Philip Camino Project (Fellow Westwood) is run on a day-to-day basis by former New York Star Chef Derek Wilcox (Shoji NYC), with Shibumi’s David Schlosser on also. Full-service meals begin tonight at 13050 San Vicente Blvd., 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday.
- The bee is now open on La Brea for vegan burgers and other dishes (including Of our time‘fake chicken nuggets), and the growing group also plans to add a location in Venice, by What Now LA.
- Menotti’s coffee legend (and former latte art world champion) Nicely Abel has struggled to pay rising hospital bills in recent months, so the Go get Em Tiger The team comes up with a special Spanish Latte with condensed milk and cinnamon to help Nicely. Each $ 6 latte sale means that $ 4 goes into a fund to help Nicely pay her bills. The special drink lasts until this Sunday.
- Like everyone, Goldburger looking to hire a few more staff. In this case, it’s about helping open the company’s new Los Feliz store, which should be good to go.